background


Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28, 2010

I will start with the pictures first. We had just gotten back to the church from interviews and these tornado clouds blew over the sky incredibly fast! It was very cool, but very eerie. No tornadoes though! We just stood there and watched while the clouds flew past us. I hope the pictures work, I forgot to make them smaller first.


The next picture is Sister Green and I in our new apartment. We found some 2009 party glasses laying around haha. Our new apartment is... interesting. I will have to send pictures of it next week! We did get moved in, we spent friday night, and all day saturday, and a few hours sunday to pack/move/clean/unpack. It was definately exhausting. The first night we slept there we both just laid in bed and laughed because neither one of us could sleep with the streetlights shining right through our window, our window coolers making noise, and the ambulances that drive by with their sirens going... and it was sooo hot. It doesn't have central air, so it took about 24 hours to cool off. I decided I don't think I could handle a foreign country with no air conditioning. That is one thing I am definately grateful for!!

Some of the members in the ward wanted to take us to the zoo, so we actually went today for p-day! It was pretty fun, the zoo is kinda small but it was nice to do something a little different for a change!

I tried to get as close as I could to a little tropical bird, the name of it started with an L... haha.

Sister Reisender and her husband were the ones who took us, and the old house in the background actually belonged to a family who dedicated their land to educating people about animals in order to keep their land.


I guess they lost their business and were in poverty so they made a deal with a science foundation of some sort. It was pretty interesting. We went on a tour of the house and they actually had a slave house in the backyard. It was interesting to think back to the times when there were slaves. So the next picture is of the house the slaves lived in.

A goat tried to eat my pants! He was a cute little guy! I guess I'll have to send other pictures in another e-mail because I can't fit anymore in this one. It was quite an adventure though.


Ok, well I guess since what I am doing out here is supposed to be missionary work.. haha. Wanda's baptism got postponed, again! It will be this weekend and if it doesn't happen, so help me! We have never had to schedule the building in the past, but I guess someone was having a baby shower at the church all day so we had to reschedule. We were really bummed about that, but Wanda made it to sacrament meeting on Sunday for the first time since January with her husband! We have been doing a service at her house a couple of times, but she felt it was important to come to church. It was good for her too because the talk that was given was on the sacrifices we have to make to further the kingdom, and her mother had just disinvited her to her uncle's funeral. She is still puling through and it is amazing. We had a really good lesson with a guy named Tim. He basically soaked up everything we told him and he said it really makes sense. He is getting married in October I believe, and so it could turn into teaching his future wife as well! Other than that, this week has been just busy busy busy. Probably the busiest I've had on my mission so far. The temple was wonderful as always, although I had to go to the bathroom really bad through the whole session and didn't know what to do so I just held it. Probably too much information, but it taught me that it is much better to get there early enough to go beforehand. Our ride decided to take us to breakfast because we got there a little early and then it took too long so we had to rush.

There isn't nearly as much going on this week. We are doing a 40 day fast of things we need to overcome to have the spirit with us more and it has been interesting how hard Satan will work on us. We had a conference call last night and Pres Hutching said that satan doesn't know our thoughts, but as soon as we write it on paper, he knows. So we had to write down things we wanted to give up or do better on and so he is going to do everything he can to throw things in our way. I had never thought of that before, but I guess it is true. The goal is to be able to overcome things that are holding us back from our full potential as missionaries. Well I guess that is all for the moment! Let me know if the pictures worked. I have a feeling they might not since they are all so big.

I love you all!

Love
Sister Turner

ps---Josh, i love the new glasses! they make you look just like harry potter! ;) Oh, and have fun in Chicago! You'll have to send me pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment