background


Monday, September 13, 2010

September 13, 2010

Yep, another week has gone by and here I am half way through another transfer! We did have a very busy week. Things have started to pick up a bit more for us. It is a blessing! We had a ward activity last saturday, and we had 2 less active/part member families there! That we have been working with! It was exciting to see the blessings of all the hard work we have been doing. I can't remember if I already told you or not, but one of the less active members we found, Brent Evans, is one of our miracles for the week. Him and his wife have been living in Portland for awhile now, and we decided to try and see them. Come to find out they were home, and that his wife is not a member. They agreed to let us teach them the discussions and we invited them to come to the ward party. They came! Last night we had the first discussion, and it went really well. They are definately prepared for the gospel! Mindi said that she would be willing to get baptized once she comes to know it is true for herself! No hesitation at all. Which makes me slightly nervous because that doesn't happen very often at all. They would have been at church but she didn't know that she didn't have to wear a dress to come to church... We also got a wedding date set with Barry and Deborah finally! October 15th, and then Deborah will be baptized the following week on the 23rd. Bobby is still doing pretty well, but we are having a hard time getting him to come to our church. That is one of the hardest things to do, especially when they like going to their church. He seems to be doing well otherwise though! As for me, I think all this hard work is catching up with me. I am so tired! I barely make it through my prayers at night, and then I close my eyes and two seconds later the alarm goes off. That is how it feels anyway! I may need to sleep for a week straight when I get home.. ;)

I think I vaguely remember the Wades, the name sounds familiar but not their faces. That is neat though! The leaves here are just barely barely starting to change color and I am getting so excited for the fall! I got the conference talks you sent me! Thank you, they come in handy!

Btw, Cody's year mark is on the 16th! He'll be on the downhill slope soon! He is still in Knoxville and Elder Maxwell is his companion! He is feeling kind of discouraged right now, so keep him in your prayers too.

One thing I have realized in my studies this past week is how as children of God, we are like little children to him. I have been studying the atonement/repentance/becoming like a child and realized how similar the relationship between us and God is similar to a little kid and their parents. Children rely on their parents for everything. Food, clothes, love, knowledge, everything! A lot of times, the only thing the child has to offer his parents is love and to try to do what their parents tell them. They couldn't go out into the world and figure it out themselves! They need their parents to teach them what to do first! It is the same way in the gospel. We can't do anything without the Lord's help, or the things we do without him are worthless! Sometimes all we can give him is love, and a willing heart to try to do as He asks us to. We can't save ourselves through our own actions, we need the Savior to help us and any effort we make in the right direction is good! I've realized that through most of my life I have tried to save myself by overcoming my weaknesses on my own first, and then the Lord will take care of the rest. But it doesn't work that way, we need His help right now! Thank goodness for the gospel, and knowing that we don't have to be perfect. I am grateful to know that the Savior is there to help us through our trials, not after them!

Thank you for all that you do for me. I appreciate the words of encouragement! I love you all! Have a good week!

Love
Sister Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment