Hello! This past week was pretty good. We set another date with a girl named Emily. She is 13 and has been coming to church with her friend and asked if she could be baptized! So we had our first lesson with her and set a date. Barry's date dropped because he didn't make it to church.. even after we had members stop by he met the other day to see if he'd come. So, we aren't sure what to do about it.. I guess back off a little and let him progress on his own. He is a really nice guy, but we need to find something that will motivate him to come. He knows what we teach is true and good, he is just lazy. He even admitted it himself. I guess atleast he can admit it!
It was also kind of a rough week with our numbers, they were pretty low because Sister Rigley wasn't feeling well for a couple days and we had to drive to Madison so that he could meet with her. The other night we did a pray to find activity where we prayed to know where to go and just started driving, and we ended up at this man's house who opened the door and had a look on his face like he was mad that we were at his door and told us he was baptist. But I didn't let him get away that fast! I told him we just wanted to strengthen his faith in Christ and give him the Book of Mormon to read for himself as a testament of Christ. So he took the book, and said he'd read it! As we drove off we realized we didn't even get his name. Saturday we drove clear out to LaFayette which is almost an hour away, but it is still in our area.. no wonder we have a hard time getting people to 9 am church! ;) ANyway, we went out there to contact some former potential investigators and found out everyone we had down moved.. so we ran into a member who is an older lady and single, who was trying to pack her house and move all by herself. So we ended up helping her move for most of the afternoon, so there was a reason we drove all the way out there! We also talked to a less active member named Jesse England who looks just like Santa Clause, seriously. He is a good guy, has a lot of health problems and is poor so it is real hard for him to make it to church. Our goal is to get enough active members in our area to create a branch in Portland. I think I'll be here atleast another 2 transfers. Which reminds me, here is my address:
149 Portland Courtyard Dr
Portland, TN 37148-1957
I haven't gotten a package yet, but they might be holding it and bringing it to zone conference this week. We haven't had zone conference in awhile, so it will be good!
These weeks are flying by, we're already 1/2 way through this transfer! It is incredibly hot and humid today. We had some thunderstorms over the weekend, and when it rains, it is HU-MID! It seems like as long as you keep moving and going places, you are fine. But as soon as you stand still for a couple seconds, you're drenched! We were out walking for about two hours and stayed fairly dry right until we got home and stood still and I was soaked. Be grateful you have a dry heat out there in Utah!
I miss you all and love you so much!
Thank you for everything you do for me!
Love,
Sister Turner
the pictures:
only in the south will you ever see signs like this all over the place. even at a random place to buy firewood! you'll see the 10 commandments hanging up in certain places too, like Dairy Queen. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that but if I ever see one again, I am going to!
Sister Rigley wasn't feeling well and so we tied a headband around her head so that she wouldn't have to hold the ice there. She looked pretty silly! :)
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment